Share |

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

From Winter to Summer,,What Happened to Spring??

Seems like we went right from wearing winter clothes right to summer clothes. I enjoy spring so much!!! We just finished a little redo on the front porch, and I hope to get to spend a little time out there before the heat and the mosquitos set in.

It was an idea I found on pinterest somewhere. It used canvas drop cloths from Lowe's and some curtain rods. I love the look, it's like a little room. We hope to get the other end of the porch done this summer, but it will be a little outside eating area.





I also got a quilt finished. It is very summery and bright. I wanted something to hand quilt as I hadn't done that for a while. But when I went to buy batting, they had warm and natural on sale for 20.00!! Got it home, got the quilt sandwiched and on a hoop, started hand quilting...then realized I hate hand quilting with W&N. It is so hard to get nice little stitches. So, I finished the center square, then, with a lot of wrangling, got the quilt onto my frame and machine meandered the rest. It did come out nice though.



I did a swap, with my ABC Quilters group, of blocks called flip flop blocks. There are several patterns, but I chose the baskets. My next project will be to get these sewn together and quilted. A couple of the blocks don't show up really well, so I am going to put lattice between each one using the fabric at the bottom, and I will machine blanket stitch around the baskets using a similar light color. I think it will show up.



That's it for now. Enjoy the day.

WilmaNC

5 COMMENT:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your new porch! That looks so inviting. The basket blocks are beautiful. I find I have to use a cotton/poly or full poly batt for hand quilting - the others just don't needle well.

sophie said...

Your front porch is so inviting ... I am envious! Around here the drapes (and probably the wicker furniture) would blow away. Your quilt is so cheery and bright and I LOVE those baskets–It's true I never met a basket quilt I didn't like, but that design is extra-special.

We went from a week or so of over-night freezes to 80 degrees. It's definitely summer with no clue about what happened to spring.

Lucy said...

So glad you are on the blog again. The baskets are beautiful and I love your porch looks inviting.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Love the new room!!! We have a similar idea but not as pretty and no lovely view!!!! Quilts looking great too xxx

DragonPoodle said...

I've been wondering what happened to spring too. Love your porch curtains.
Are you by any chance going to the NC TOGA? I'll be there this year.