Share |

Monday, May 21, 2012

Bingo, and doll quilts

I won the prize for a horizontal Bingo in the May for Me festivities, and received a really nice charm pack, Primitive Gatherings. I love the fabrics, and I love charm packs.


I made a doll quilt for a May swap with the theme May Flowers. The first 2 months have been a learning experience to see the kind of work these ladies do, I have been in quite a few doll quilt swaps, and sometimes the quilts received have been very simple, which is OK ... But these ladies are sending some awesome quilts!!! I think starting next month I need to increase the difficulty a bit. Here is the one I just made:


There is hand quilting in the flowers and stems, but it doesn't show up in the picture. Someone asked me if the buttons were Bakealite. I had to google that. All I know is that I got the buttons out of a jar that I inherited from Dave's grandma. You ever heard of them??

I decided to hang my swap doll quilts around the ceiling in my sewing room. I think when I run out of room I will put them on the ceiling, lol. I had a bunch more, but I gave them as gifts to the little ones who still play with dolls..




In my many internet searches, I somewhere found a pattern that was an older one from McCall's. It is a pineapple appliqué, and this is definitely the next quilt I am going to make. Here's the first block I have started, I plan to machine appliqué the pieces down. Nothing else on the quilt except squares like this, although I may add a border...I think it will look awesome when done. I love the pattern, and I love pineapples.


10 COMMENT:

Belinda said...

Congratulations on your bingo Wilma!! Those flowers are really pretty.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, your doll quilt was special - buttons just warm my heart - a must on a dolly quilt in my opinion - and old buttons are more special. Now that is a pineapple block I've never seen - very simple but elegant - very pretty.

Lucy said...

Congratulations on the bingo charm pack. The dolly quilt is so special. The pineapple block will make a lovely quilt.

Vesuviusmama said...

Somehow I have missed your blog posts for the last two months or so - you must not have posted on the few and far between days I've taken the time to read. Anyway, I just made it through the last two months of posts - good stuff. Love your new doll quilt - bummer about not getting the dog. I'll try to do better staying current with your blog because I always enjoy my "visits" with you.

Sheila said...

Congratulations! I like charm packs, too.
Your doll blanket is so cute. I think it is special that little girls play with real little quilts. They will always remember them.

Cathi said...

You can tell if an item is Bakelite if you run it under hot water & it smells odd!

Susan said...

You have a lot of doll quilts! That one you just finished is the same set of blocks I won on lotto last year! Primitive Gatherings is about my favorite line, currently.

Carrie P. said...

congrats on your win. I got a horizontal bingo but after you.
love all your doll quilts. I am working on one for a swap in our modern quilt guild.

DragonPoodle said...

love the doll quilt, it is adorable!
What is horizontal bingo? Sounds X-rated! ha ha
Cheryl Warren

quilter000 said...

very nice Wilma i like the charm pack you won!!