Share |

Friday, October 21, 2011

Appalachian Memories started!!!!!

I mentioned an awesome project in my last post that I would be starting soon. Well, I'm started!!! It is going to be so sweet when finished, and I don't mean sweet, I mean SWEET!!!! Do you love the mountains? Do you love quilts blocks? Do you love barns?? I love them all. So, here is my first block, as well as the link to the page where this pattern can be purchased. (I am not affiliated in any way!!).


It is a quilt pattern with 12 embroidered barns that Beth Dix has drawn herself. What an amazing talent!!! And she lives right down the 40 from me in Black Mountain. (Maybe I can meet her someday...) The setting is in the Hole in the Barndoor pattern and will be an awesome quilt.

Here's the picture on the pattern front. I saw this and immediately fell in love!!!


So, if you love all of the aforementioned things, you should get this pattern. Don't you love to support really talented artists who happen to come up with something so different and original?

Here is the link to where you can purchase "Appalachian Memories".

I am doing the embroidery in all brown, except each quilt block on the barns will be in a different color. I will post each block as I get it done. I am so excited!!!

Later,
WilmaNC

11 COMMENT:

Roma said...

You are so right about the quilt and the barns! And to such a nominal fee for all of the barns and then the setting instructions..
This is a bargain in todays world.

Thanks for posting about this.

Carrie P. said...

Oh, that is so neat. I went to the site to check it out.
Does she give info about where the barns are in the state?

Lucy said...

Look forward to seeing the blocks as you sew them. Great project.

ponderpiggy said...

Wilma...that is awesome!!! I have begun work on some similar blocks, also barns but not as detailed. Mine are being done in a rust/brown color...to match the sashing fabric that is that color with little peachy colored pigs on it. Someday I'll finish it. Will be looking forward to your project!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ok - I ordered them - thank you, just perfect for our quilt guild 2-color quilt challenge - and I doubt anyone else will have this - so cool!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lovely barns! should make a great quilt

Beth said...

Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for all the great comments about my Appalachian Memories Barn Pattern! You make me feel so honored. The barns in this pattern are simplified versions of 12 barns that were drawn for the Mystery Harvest Shop Hop Group in southeast Ohio, WV and KY. They have had the barns printed on fabric and currently have it available for sale. Unfortunately, I don't have any to sell. One of you asked about the barn locations...Eleven of the barns on the pattern are only generic barns that have been drawn from photo references. They are not exact duplicates of any one particular barn. However, the barn with the mariner's compass block is the only one that is an exact duplicate. It is a barn in Sardis, Ohio, belonging to a Mr. Earl Billiter and his wife Ruth. They were kind enough to give me permission to draw their barn.

If you have any questions about my patterns, let me know. I'd love to hear from you. I am currently working on several new designs - and am planning a redwork wildflower quilt to be released in the spring.

Barb said...

What gorgeous patterns! I love embroidery like that and these barns are wonderful! I will have to check out the site to get them. Thanks. How nice of Beth to comment, that doesn't happen all the time either!

Unknown said...

Thanks Wilma, love them, ordered and will be a greta quilt gift for my farmer husband! LOL

Miss Hillbilly said...

That is wonderful, thanks for sharing! I am always looking for unique patterns and I have a friend that grew up in the Appalachian mountains. I bet she would love this!

Cathi said...

Thanks for sharing the link for this spectatular pattern. I just received mine & can hardly wait to start it. I've ordered some Sulky 12 ct.Blendable thread in dark chocolate for the embroidery.