Share |

Monday, November 15, 2010

Rotary Cutter Blades

Sometimes I am appalled by the prices that quilting gadgets cost. They are kind of like medical equipment in that if it is specified medical, (or quilter related) the cost goes way up. Rotary cutter blades have always been a bit pricey in my opinion. So when I read about blade replacements for carpet cutters, I was very interested. I looked them up and saw that they look exactly like the ones I use for my Olfa and Fiskars rotary cutters. So....I just had to order some.

The company is Harbor Freight. The blades come in packs of 2 for $1.99. I ordered 5 packs ($9.95), tax $1.31, and the freight was $6.99. The total for 10 blades came to $18.25. But the blades were on backorder, so when I opened my package, they had given me an extra pack, so I got 12 blades for $18.85 ($1.57 a piece). At Joann.com the prices are: Olfa blades, pack of 5 for $31.99, Fiskars, pack of 5 for 25.99.  At Amazon you can get a 5 pack of the Fiskars brand for $14.15. So Harbor Freight is still a great deal.


I think if you got a lot of your friends to place an order with you, you could even save more, as I can't imagine the freight would be much more.

Update on house: not much going on right now. We're waiting for the countertops to come this week, then they can finish up.

Later,
WilmaNC

9 COMMENT:

Vesuviusmama said...

So good to know! Thanks for sharing! At that price, I may just have to put blades in my stocking from Santa this year...

Cheryl Warren said...

We've got a Harbor Freight in Durham and they're even cheaper if you don't have to pay for the shipping! lots of other sewing possibilities in there--my fave was the little led lights with magnets that stick to my treadle machine. the magnetic ash-tray is also cool for holding little parts while you work on a machine.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Anything to save some $$ ... and spend it on fabric instead, right? ha!

Blessings!

Carrie P. said...

Wow what a deal. Thanks for sharing the info.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tip!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have my brother pick them up at Freight Harbor - his company gets a lot from there - they were $1.33 a double pk and with a coupon and company card he's getting them for under $1 - gotta love it.

Myra said...

I picked up rotary cutter blades at JoAnn this weekend and put them back down. There is a Harbor Freight store right across town from JoAnn's. Wish I had know that this weekend. Thanks for the info!

quilter000 said...

Nice Wilma and are they as sharp? I bet they are!! quilter000

black bear cabin said...

thats funny you should mention this, a quilter friend of mine just told me about it two days ago and we were gonna give their blades a try :) enjoy the bargain!