Share |

Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm still full...

of food, and new ideas. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Now I'm looking forward to Christmas.

I'm sure none of my readers is aware that I am retiring on December 18, (ha!!), or that I am very excited about that. I will have more time to devote to quilting and reading, and have had an idea in my head about a series of small quilts for some time.

I met my husband, Dave, in 1972, through a friend. We hit it off right away, and talked on the phone for a few days about books we had read and numerous other things. I did not have a sewing machine then, but I have always liked to sew. Being hippie type people, we kept our jeans forever, and if they got a hole?? Sew a patch on it! So after talking to Dave for those few days, he came over bringing some jeans for me to patch. That was in the middle of December, and we got married on January 3rd. Everyone was appalled and said it wouldn't last, but this January we will celebrate out 38th anniversary.

(These aren't mine....just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about)

Anyway, I always loved the look of patched jeans, so comes the inspiration for my series of "Patched Jeans". My sister gave me a bolt of soft denim material that is 12 inches wide. I am cutting the roll into pieces about 20-24 inches long, and each will be a small quilt. I'm not sure how many I will get out of the bolt, but it should keep me busy for a while.

I'm excited to start this project and to see how many I can get done. There is a small consignment shop that opened recently in our little town, and the fellow seemed interested in little quilts, so I will take the first one to him and see if he thinks it could sell. We'll see.

Plus, all of the other items in my "To Do" file are calling to me. Need some bad weather to keep me in the house, lol.

Later,
WilmaNC

5 COMMENT:

Lucy said...

Congratulations on your retirement
am looking forward to all you new things you will be quilting.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I didn't save all my jeans, but I so relate to the picture! I love the idea of mini jean quilts - how clever.

Candace said...

I'm retired and haven't missed work at all, I hope you enjoy every minute. My parents got married back in 1945, during war years, and they only knew each other 2 days, although they did know some of each other's families. They were married over 50 years before they passed away. Looking forward to seeing your jeans quilt.

Gari in AL said...

I had forgotten that your retirement was coming up so soon. I am very happy for you and hope that you enjoy it as much as I have and do. And I love the jeans idea. I would probably have to make a quilt to snuggle under if I had gotten that bolt.

Vesuviusmama said...

I love the idea of the patched jeans quilts, and your first one with the orange is just lovely!