Share |

Monday, August 2, 2010

Process

I have decided to show more of the process instead of only the finished project. (See side banner). Sooo.....

Here is the update on my Basket Weave string quilt. (I have challenged myself to sew through the list of quilts at Quiltville to see if I can get rid of all the small pieces of fabric in my stash.) First picture of all the blocks arranged on my design wall. (I need more room to set this up permanently!!) The second picture of of the blocks sewn into rows. Next will be cutting and sewing the side and corner triangles. I still haven't decided what color to use for this. Any suggestions??




As in a recent post, I am doing this Giant Pin Cushion sew along from Vickie's site, Spun Sugar Quilts.

Here's a picture of what I have so far. Today should have the final step for this. I used the English paper piecing method, just so I could learn something new. I LOVE pin cushions!! I have no idea how this will be closed up, lol. 



Later,
WilmaNC

9 COMMENT:

Unknown said...

oh la la, I love your basket weave quilt top, WOW.......

sophie said...

I love the fussy cut hexagons in your pin cushion--that's going to be one sweet place to keep your pins when you're done ;-)

For the setting triangles, I'd chose a tone-on-tone or solid in whatever color you want the quilt to be. I like the idea of red, but I'm sort of obsessed with it right now.

Ps. I think the idea of working through Bonnie's patterns is a great one. I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose next.

pollyanna said...

That is an amazing quilt, Wilma. I also was thinking red, but perhaps red would overwhelm the whole quilt. I would select a color from one of the strips--I also agree TOT or solid--that will set off the strips.

And your pin cushion is fantastic! I am looking forward to seeing it finished!

free indeed said...

Miss you from over at block lotto. We're doing some wonderful liberated quilt blocks this year.

I think I'd go with a blue or red for setting triangles. Can you believe I've never set a block on point in all my quilting years???? I really need to challenge myself and get out of the rut! I love string quilts!
Shelley

Myra said...

I love those blocks! I think just about any color you want would work for the setting triangles. I am intrigued by your pincushion - can't wait to see you finish.

Anonymous said...

What about a deep dark chocolate brown or black for your basket weave?

Gari in AL said...

If I were doing setting triangles for this quilt I would use different fabrics all the way around. Then a dark (brown, black or blue)inside border to stop the eye. You are making a beautiful quilt.

Pokey said...

The quilt top is going to be beautiful! Is it for you? When you are doing so many colors in a top, and can basically use any color, choose one that will be pleasing to you. Where is it going to be? Use the color you want in that room.
I've been watching those pincushions, and I SO want to try it! I favor a big pincushion, you can aim the pin at it, and rarely miss!

Mary Johnson said...

Blue tends to be my neutral for scrap quilts but I like olive greens and browns too.