Share |

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What I am Reading and my Current Quilt project.

In addition to quilting, hiking and golfing, I am also an avid reader. I bought a Nook recently, which makes it so much easier to read at will.

The book I'm reading now is called Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, by Harriet Jacobs. Bring born and raised in the north (Ohio), and having never experienced segregation, I find the books about slavery to be impelling. I read in the newspaper a while back that the high school in Asheville did not integrate until 1969, the year I graduated high school. Unbelievable. It is abhorrent to me how the slaves were treated. This book is a good read and very insightful. I recommend.

OK, now the quilting part. I have a HUGE tub of small scraps, and thousands of fabric pieces that are smaller than a fat quarter. I would like to thin out the smaller pieces so that I can better arrange my stash. SO, in the vein of Julie and Julia, I am starting at the top of the list of scrappy quilts at the Quiltville site maintained by Bonnie Hunter. I have made a couple, but I have started on the Basket Weave Strings. So far I have 20 blocks done. It goes fast. Here's a picture.


I'll keep you posted.

WilmaNC

2 COMMENT:

Mary Johnson said...

These blocks look great -- I love rail fence quilts and have a string version on my list too.

Myra said...

I just love string quilts and it looks like yours is going to be lovely.