Share |

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A wonderous day

We were supposed to play golf with my son yesterday, but he had to cancel. And swe had our heart set on a day trip, we decided to drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway and see some places we haven't been to in a while. First stop was Linville Falls. It is such a beautiful place, heavily visited, but awesome. We hiked to all 3 observation areas, than headed on up the Parkway to Price Lake. Looked around there for a bit, then stopped at an overlook and had a picnic for lunch.



Next we went on a hike on a trail called the Rough Ridge trail. It was definitely rough!! Uphill all the way on a ridge of rocks. Part of the trail is a boardwalk they built to protect some plant life, but after the boardwalk it was all climbing rocks. When I took this picture of the Linn Cove Viaduct, I thought of Carrie P. as she has a picture of this as her profile pic.




Then we went to Grandfather Mountain. What a neat place! I am in awe everytime we go there. The owners are making some really nice improvements there, as they should since they increased the entrance fee to $15.00 per person! We fussed about it, but when we saw what they have done we decided it was well worth it. They have some bears, deer, otters, and some eagles (which they keep there as they were shot by stupid hunters out west so that they can't fly!!) in natural habitat settings. Then there is the mile high swinging bridge. It scares the poop out of me everytime I walk across it but I force myself. The winds are so strong at that elevation that the bridge does move some. I just scurry across knocking people out of my way, lol. (Not really, but it's what I want to do.) There are alot of hiking trails there, but we had already hiked 6 miles so we just walked around then went across the bridge.




I need to get some sewing done, but it's hard to stay inside when the weather is so beautiful.
Oh, one more picture of our garden. It is taking on a life of it's own!!!


Later,





3 COMMENT:

Crispy said...

What a truly wonderous day you had Wilma. The scenery is just beautiful!!

Crispy

Kim D. said...

Wow, you are ambitious to go on a hike like that. It looks so breathtaking and beautiful.. I love the little bed that you bought. JDO on about.com brought a cute little wire bed to the AZ retreat this year. She bought it at Joann's awhile back. It was made for some planter pots but she made a matress, dust ruffle, little quilt and pillow for it. It was adorable. I can't wait to see the little quilt you make for it.

Unknown said...

Oh wow a walk on the wild side for sure. I love your photos too. excellent blog...