Share |

Monday, December 1, 2008

Bowed Psaltery

Betcha you don't know what a Bowed Psaltery is!! I didn't either until I started looking for a musical instrument I thought I could learn at my age (late 50's). I had played French Horn all through my schooling years but never played after I graduated. So, I looked at Dulcimers and violins and decided they were too hard to self teach. The psaltery was recommeded, so I checked them out, and bought one from a fellow in Tennessee, Rick Long, who makes them and demonstrates them at the Folk Art Center in Asheville, NC. I have fallen in love with this instrument. It has a special place in my sewing room, lol!! Here's a picture of my baby.



A friend of mine from work, John, plays the electronic keyboard. He is good!!! I showed him my instrument and he thought we should record some stuff together. He plays the accompaniment and records it, sends it to me, then I record my part along with his. It is fun!! If you would like to hear the 4 songs we have done, here are the links. We did Good King Wenceslas, Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth, Going Home, and Morning Has Broken, so far. Be prepared, the psaltery is a Appalachain-y sounding thing, not what you'd expect. And remember, I've only been playing this since June!!


morning.mp3
Drummer Boy.mp3
gkwfinal.mp3
going home finally.mp3


It takes me forever to learn the songs as I have to memorize them. You can play the psaltery and look at the music because there is just about a half an inch where your bow touches for each note. I'll bet I did drummer boy 40 times before I got through without a mistake.


I hope you enjoy the music. Just a little break from the Quilting Word.


Until next time.

Only 170 more working days til i retire!


3 COMMENT:

Myra said...

Awesome Wilma! I downloaded Little Drummer Boy and really enjoyed listening. That was my grandmother's favorite Christmas carol and it is also mine.

Jan said...

Wilma--that was beautiful listening to your music--thanks so much for sharing with us! Morning is my favorite!

Unknown said...

I had never heard this instrument. You are doing great! Sounds like a professional recording! You go, girl! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed listening to them all.