Share |

Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Job Involving Lap Quilting

My sister gets me quilting jobs from time to time, and the latest one is quite different from most. Thought I would show you.

The client started making this quilt in 1978. She got all the squares done except for 2, which I have competed for her. The catch is, they were made using the lap quilting technique of Georgia Bonesteel. Although I bought every single pattern in her Spinning Spools collection, I never did make a quilt using her method.

There are 20 of these blocks, each measuring 20" square. I took pics, hopefully I can make them small enough so it doesn't take up too much room. (For some reason I can't get more than one on a line...). They all had mitered corners in the borders. That was a trick for me as I never do those, lol. On the  house block she embroidered the year, and a couple of others have embroidery. All hand quilted, of course. Lots of empty spaces, which is hard for me to leave alone, but she didn't quilt densely like I would have. The squares with the blue markings are the ones I had to finish up, but on many others, there is still remnants of blue marks from when she did her quilting. After all these years, I hope those marks come out. Oh, and you wouldn't believe the quality of the fabrics. I remember my first quilt I made from fabric bought at a quilt shop, it was so thin, not luxurious like we are used to now. Here are the blocks.





















Now, I really did think about joining these using current QAYG methods, but that would have made it look like more sashings between the blocks. So, I went to YouTube and found a video of Georgia doing her thing. Here is a link to the how to video. You can tell how old this is by how young Georgia looks, lol.

So, it is going to be a bit cumbersome getting all these together. I have several joined and ready to hand sew down the back. Doing the blocks is not too bad, but when I have to join the rows, it might be a different story.

This is going to be a big quilt. Figure at 4x5 blocks...about 80"x100".

I will post more pictures as I go.

I have decided that I will use the proceeds from this job to buy myself a KitchenAid stand mixer. :)

WilmaNC

11 COMMENT:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a huge project! My mom did something similar a few years ago and it took 4 of us to help muscle that thing thru her machine because of the size - each on a corner/quarter.

Carrie P. said...

those blocks are really great. I have uses that technique once.
Good luck with all. Tell us how it goes and if you like the technique.

Sheila said...

Her blocks are very pretty. I can understand why she wants it finished. I haven't any suggestions. I look forward to hearing how you resolve all these issues. I thank you are going to more than earn that nice mixer.

DragonPoodle said...

Those fabrics are a trip down memory lane!

You will LOVE your Kitchen Aid mixer. I make my own bread mix (starting with a 5 pound bag of flour) and the mixer can mix up to 4 loaves worth of dough at a time (but I usually only make one at a time). I've got the largest non-commercial mixer.

I'd be glad to share the bread mix recipe, just let me know if you want it.
Cheryl Warren

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Gosh, 34 years is a LONG UFO !

Kim said...

Oh boy I don't know if I'd be brave enough to take that on!
It will be a real treasure for her when you finish it. Good luck.

(I mailed your doll quilt but did not take any pictures of it.....duh
so I have nothing to post in the doll quilt blog to tease you with :0).)

Happy Sewing

Anonymous said...

That is going to be a big job when you get to the rows! At least you can do two rows at a time then four, then finish, but that last one is going to be heavy! A stand KitchenAid! I'm so jealous! Are you going to make bread?

Lucy said...

My first log cabin quilt I put together by hand using her book. But now I have some one else long arm quilt my quilts. Good Luck I know you can do a great job.

Mary Ann said...

This is a great quilt - very nice of you to take it on. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I'm catching up tonight from BINGO! Finally! I am skipping over so many, but not you :)...I look forward to seeing this finished. Hope you got your mixer!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I'm catching up tonight from BINGO! Finally! I am skipping over so many, but not you :)...I look forward to seeing this finished. Hope you got your mixer!