Share |

Friday, November 5, 2010

My prize winnings (Day 4 reno)

The house is really torn up, and I am still hanging out in my sewing room. Made a couple of mug rugs though. I found some orphan blocks, cut them up and sewed them back together. These things are so cute. I made mine about 5x7. Enough room for a mug of coffee and a few cookies. They remind me of a little tiny placemat, lol.  But they are cute and are very quick to make.



I also got my prize winnings from the Fall Challenge from the Quilting Bee Forum. The blocks are very unusual as the focus fabric was from Australia and was covered with snakes and other critters (it's the purple print). I also won 2 yards  of coordinating fabrics. Hopefully after the first of the year I will get these made into a quilt. My block is the one with 4 snakes coiled, lol. It was a fun challenge for sure.




Now for an update on the renovations. It's coming along. They are supposed to finish laying the floor in the kitchen today so they can get the bottom cabinets installed, and hopefully the new dishwasher and the microwave oven hood.  (We bought stainless steel even though MIL doesn't like it, but then again, she bought dark quartz counters when we wanted light, so I guess we're even.) And maybe the new lighting. They are going to bring back in the sink portion of the counter so we will have a sink and water for the weekend. Then on Tuesday the countertop people will come to measure and hopefully by sometime next week it will be installed. But who knows for sure, lol.




With everything out, it would be a really nice kitchen if we could extend it into the dining room, but then where would we eat?

So today will be just like the rest of the week. MIL at least gets to leave her bedroom and go play bridge with her friends. She has been staying in there bundled up cause the heat is off because of them running in and out to cut the flooring. I am lucky in that my sewing room is heated separately.

Only 13 more shifts to work til I retire.

Later,
Wilma

2 COMMENT:

Kim D. said...

Love the mug rug and your blocks are really pretty. Wow, a new kitchen. I bet you can't wait for it to be finished. We are renovating one of our apartments and it sure is a lot of work. Hopefully we'll be painting this weekend and then it's done.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

All that mess will be well worth it. I lived with a 30's kitchen and so appreciate the time spent to update. I wish you an early happy retirement! I'm hooked on those mug rugs too.