Share |

Monday, August 30, 2010

Remembering Rex

My FIL, Rex Eichler, passed away the end of July. He was 88 and had a fabulous life until the last couple of years, when he developed advanced Alzheimer's and had to be placed in a nursing home. In his younger days he was a tool and die man, and was part owner of a factory in Michigan. He had this machinists box filled with various tools of the trade, but hadn't used any of it since he stopped making stained glass about 6 years ago. After he passed, I emptied the box of the tools and polished it up the best I could. It now has a place of honor at the end of my cutting table and is filled with the tools of MY trade, quilting. As long as there is a quilter, this box will be used and he will be remembered. (His name is on a little plate on the bottom drawer.) Here is a picture.


I am nearly finished with the Basket Weave quilt. Just one side of the binding to sew down. Then I'll post a picture.
Later,
WilmaNC


7 COMMENT:

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That is a gorgeous chest and what a great way to remember him. He'd be proud to see it in use.

quilter000 said...

Wilma what a treasurew for you to use. He was proud of it for sure. I am happy you can have it to remind you what a great person he was and friendly and caring! Enjoy it sister.
Patty

Gari in AL said...

What a wonderful box, you are so lucky to be able to use it and to have it to remind you of your FIL. I have nothing of my family's but I have filled my house and studio with old furniture and "boxes" that remind me of the people I have loved and lost.

Vesuviusmama said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, but what a great way to remember and honor him!

Kim D. said...

So sorry for your loss Wilma. I'm happy to see you have his beautiful chest and I'm sure it's a treasure. Your basket weave quilt is lovely, can't wait to see it quilted.

Carrie P. said...

Sorry to hear about your FIL.
Such a beautiful chest and how great that you can use it.

Lynn W. said...

That is a gorgeous old chest that cleaned up nicely. It will be a long and wonderful reminder of Rex.