Share |

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Little Jacket

So, I mentioned I was going to make a small heartwarming jacket for my girl Kenzie. I was so excited to get started on it. Instead of sewing patchwork, I bought fabric printed with squares and quilted the panels from that. Small squares made for lots of quilting. It went together so nicely and quickly since I had just finished my own. Well, I had it all finished except the arm cuffs, as I needed to mark where to adjust the length to her cute little arms. Got all finished, except for trimming threads (now is one of those times I wish I had a serger...), tried it on her, and it was so short that the lower band came above her waist, and the pockets were on her chest, lol. I was bummed. Here's a picture. You can see how short the body was. My first clue should have been using a 12 inch zipper. That's short! And this was a size 6.



I thought about giving it to Goodwill, but hated to lose all the time I spent quilting the fabric. Sat and thought for a while and then had a great idea! I removed the band and the pockets and the zipper. Cut a 4 1/2" piece of the quilted fabric I had left over, and attached it to the bottom of the coat using the QAYG method of joining blocks. I zigzagged the pieces together to prevent having a seam and covered the zigzag with fabric strips. Then reapplied the band, a longer zipper and put the pockets back on. It lies flat and is not really noticeable. Of course I couldn't get the coat to lie flat in my picture!!



So, here is a the finished product. She loves this fabric!! I will take a picture of her in it when I give it to her tonight. 


Next, I have fabric with Hello Kitty squares to quilt and make a jacket for her younger sister, Khloe. I will definitely make it longer than the pattern to start with on hers!!!

I have started a new project for myself, Tall Tree by Cindy Egerton. I have all the pieces cut and just started the paper piecing. My sister, Patty, made one and got a ribbon for it in a quilt show. You can see hers here.


Beautiful fall weather, so take a break from sewing and get outside while you can!!

Later,
WilmaNC

4 COMMENT:

Lucy said...

I love the bright colors in the jacket. Kenzie will love it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Way to go in making such a lovely jacket work out - hope you made notes on the pattern. I saw Patty's tree and this looks like a great pattern to add to the Holiday decor. Look forward to seeing your interpretation.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Well done on the bodge, the jacket looks great, love the Christmas tree, going to pin it!

Anonymous said...

I think the fix only added to the jacket's cuteness! Look forward to seeing the Hello Kitty one, too. That tree looks amazing, so I'll want to see your version and fabrics.